What To Do If You Get In a Car Accident
The squeal of tires, the crunching of metal or plastic, shattering of glass—those are sounds no driver wants to hear. Getting in a car accident can be a scary and stressful event, but keeping the following tips in mind can make the accident and claims process as stress-free as possible.
- Stay calm. This may be the hardest step, but also one of the most important. Losing your cool will only make matters worse. Stop your car and check if you or any of your passengers are injured. Then, check on the condition of the people in the other car(s).
- Call the police. Get in contact with the local police department and tell them about the accident—specifically, where the accident occurred, if anyone is hurt, and what happened.
- Get yourself and your vehicle off the road. It’s important to get off the road so you are out of the way of traffic, which can help ensure no one else gets hurt. Only move your vehicle if it is safe to do so. Don’t risk further injury to yourself or others if your vehicle isn’t drivable.
- Exchange information with the other drivers. This is an essential step in the process. Collecting the right information upfront can help make the claims process with your insurance company a breeze. The following information should be obtained:
- Names and addresses of all drivers and passengers
- Makes and models of the cars involved
- Auto insurance information of the drivers
- Names and phone numbers of any witnesses
- Responding police officer’s name and badge number
- Take photos of the accident. Visual proof of the damage and scenario can help your insurance company assess the damage and work faster for you.
- Call your insurance company. Get in touch with your agent or insurance company as soon as possible after the accident. They can start working for you immediately and help you get your life moving forward.
So, in the unfortunate event you find yourself in a car accident, remember to stay calm and follow the steps above.
At Beck Insurance Agency we offer automobile insurance coverage that is designed not only to fit your specific needs but your lifestyle and budget. We offer coverage options that range from personal liability to underinsured motorists, to medical payments and more to provide you with all that you need to stay protected against life’s unexpected moments. If you have questions about your Auto Insurance Policy or would like a quote, call Beck Insurance Agency in Archbold or Whitehouse, Ohio today. Call 419-446-2777, email us at email@example.com or click here to submit your request.
iii.org. What to do when you get in a car accident video.